[responsive][/responsive]WHAT IS MRI?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is the most advanced medical imaging tool available. MRI uses a combination of a strong magnetic field and radio waves to produce detailed, high resolution images of the inside of your body without the use of dangerous x-rays.
PREPARING FOR YOUR EXAM
All of us experience some degree of anxiety before undergoing a medical test. It’s natural. Knowing more about the test in advance helps to reduce the anxiety. We suggest that you take a few moments to read about this extraordinary diagnositic test.
- Please bring your doctor’s referral form or perscription with you.
- Also be sure to bring your insurance information with you. Chesapeake Medical Imaging participates in most major insurance plans.
- Dress in comfortable and loose fitting clothes, preferably without metal snaps, fasteners or zippers. Depending on the study requested, you may be asked to change into a gown. It is best to leave jewelry and valuables at home.
- Because of the strong magnetic field, certain types of medical devices such as pacemakers and aneurysm clips may not be compatible with MRI.
- Our staff will inquire about the presence of any implanted medical appliance before you have the exam.
- There are no special preparations or dietary restrictions required.
[responsive][/responsive]THE MRI EXAM
While the MRI test is being conducted, you will lie on a padded table in an open area of the scanner. The technologist will be at the computer terminal on the other side of a window during the exam. There is an intercom to allow you to communicate freely with the technologist. A friend or family member may accompany you and sit next to you for the exam, if desired. It is very important that you remain as relaxed and still as possible during the study. The entire examination typically takes 35 to 45 minutes to complete.
Depending on the study ordered by your doctor and area of the body scanned, a contrast agent may need to be administered by injection to gain more detailed images. This will be discussed with you ahead of time.